Fractions: Grade 3-5

In grades 3, 4, and 5, we are building the foundation for these complex portions. Here are three key skills and routines you can use to make sure these foundations are strong and resilient:

Counting: Numerators are for counting. Denominators are for understanding the size of the portions. Using number lines, you can demonstrate how numerators help us track how many portions. The way the space on the number line is shared (how it is portioned) is determined by the denominator.

• Click here for number line printouts…note that this is in development! I will simplify soon
  • Click here for Number Line Battleship (a free and engaging online game by Brain Pop. No advertising!)

Estimating: Adult estimate fractional portions all of the time. We see amounts and are able to determine and communicate portions by estimating. For example, you often hear adults say things like, “I have finished about 3/4 of my work” or “I ate about 2/3 of my meal”. We know these kinds of portions inherently. How do you allow student to develop this kind of innate sense?

• Click here for engaging fraction estimation tasks and videos

Modelling: Playing with manipulatives and creating representation of portions using drawings is another way students develop this conceptual foundation.

• Click here for fraction representation practice pages.
  • Click here for video-led tasks for equivalent fractions.
  • Click here for equivalent fractions practice tasks.